Our AW zine is coming out next week – in some of our stores, with your Topshop.com orders and on lots of student campuses! Get excited, not only does it show you all the best bits from Topshop for AW09 but you'll be able to have a good look at Christopher Kane's latest collection for us. Out on September 18th, we're already compiling our shopping lists. And trust us, they're long – this is his biggest and bestest Topshop collection yet! To celebrate, we asked Christopher to answer your blog questions…
Sign up here to be kept up to date with all the latest news about Christopher Kane's collection.
1) I'd like to say that I adore Christopher's AW09 collection and hope that the Topshop collection brings a part of this look to the high street (Get me one of those nude dresses!) Where do you get your inspiration from Christopher? Do you read blogs? Xx Emma
Glad you liked my AW09, it’s definitely one of my all-time favourites. Regarding my inspiration, it can be very random until two weeks before the show – it’s when I start to see real samples that I can start to imagine a character/person from film or music. I don’t know of many blogs except 10 magazine blog, which I help to edit and blog on. You should check it out; it’s very funny and always has the best gossip and goings on.
2) The inspiration for your work has varied greatly over the past years. I would be very interested to know a bit about the process of choosing and developing the inspiration, and eventually translating it into the final collection. Good luck for the future! Shira
I can't really give away too many of my secrets, but if I'm completely honest I always follow my instincts and work to come up with something I love. As I mentioned before I love film and can really relate to characters in film, how they dress, feel etc. Besides film I love art, music… anything that makes me think.
3) Soo excited about the Topshop collection, I would bet money on Christopher Kane becoming one of the great designers of our generation, only then I'd have less money to spend on his clothes!! I would be really interested in hearing from Christopher and finding out what his advice is on getting yourself out there and known in the industry? The way he has risen to greatness so quickly but so deservedly is an inspiration to all hopeful designers like myself. Kathryn
I recommend getting experience as a studio intern, networking and most importantly working your ass off. It's all to do with hard work and being completely and utterly devoted to fashion. If you get a knock back don't let it affect your confidence, remind yourself it is just one person's opinion. Most people assume the fashion industry is all parties and glamour, I would say it is 95% hard work, 5% parties, so it's best always to have your feet firmly on the ground for those factory visits!
4) What is the Christopher Kane woman like, who is she? Thank you for your answer. Ina
I hope my customer is of all ages. I really have no preference, but a good personality helps, and someone who is obviously loves fashion and having fun, not talking herself to seriously. She's strong, independent and very confident, I think my clothes appeal to people who want to really feel special and stand out from the crowd when at a party or in the street. I like that people can identify my clothes straight away – it's a huge compliment when that happens.
5) Even though everything is a bit 'wow' in your new collection, what is the one piece that every girl should own from the new range and why? Cheers, The Caledonista
From my new range I recommend some tartan cashmere or one of my multi coloured ribbon dresses, especially look 21. My Topshop range is really amazing, I think every piece is special and you should definitely purchase my mirror sweat pants to wear with a suit jacket and high heels, not forgetting the mesh all-over mirror dress that is seriously beautiful and very sexy.
6) Hi, just wanted to say how much I love your designs! I was wondering, what's the best part of working in the fashion industry? Katie
I love backstage at my shows, just before the show. It's an amazing feeling to know that you have produced something you can be proud of. Also seeing my clothes in magazines is a thrill. Travelling is a perk too, and meeting and working with talented people like Donatella Versace.
7) Hello. May I start by saying how much I loved your SS09, it was to die for – seriously! Do you have an all-time favourite piece in any of your collections? Zoe
It's too hard to choose, I love all of my clothes. I'll always adore my graduation lace and ring dresses. They mean so much to me; they started my career and remind me of my time at college. I can't wait to revisit them one day.
8) What was it like studying at Central Saint Martins? Annabel
CSM is truly the best art school in the world, I loved it there. I met so many interesting people/tutors. I'll never forget those times. It could be tough though at times, but I loved the challenge – everyday was different and you never knew who you would bump into in the hallway. It really is a magical place.
9) Oooh, Christopher Kane :) I have so many questions but I will limit myself to just one… Which fashion designer do you admire and who has provided you with the most influence? Merci beaucoup, Kirstie
I will always admire the work of Gianni Versace- he truly was a genius. His work always stood out and today it is continuously being copied. His last couture collection still astounds me. I am lucky today to work with Donatella, who is one of the most generous and talented designers today.